Best Buy Return / Refund / Exchange Policies
Best Buy reserves the right to deny a price match for any reason. This gives Best Buy all the power in this transaction and at some times it may be impossible to negotiate a resolution. Since you can return to any store, attempting to return at a different store may result in a positive result.
“Best Buy Store Exchange & Return Policy
To exchange or return an item purchased in one of our stores, bring the item to any Best Buy store. Please follow these guidelines:
Exchange and Return Period
Exchange or return your item anytime from the original purchase date within the timeframe below:
- 14 days for computers, monitors, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, iPads, tablets and radar detectors
- 30 days for all other products
- 45 days for all products for Reward Zone Program Premier Silver members*
*If you are returning a mobile phone or device with a plan, Best Buy is not responsible for carrier charges incurred after the carrier’s cancellation period. Please refer to the terms and conditions of your plan to verify the carrier conditions.
Some items cannot be returned, including:
- Labor, delivery and/or installation services
- Pre-paid cards such as music, photo, video or phone cards
- Digital content
- Pitch In™ Card contributions
- Consumable items such as food, drink and batteries
- Items that are damaged or abused
- Items that are missing accessories, such as remote controls, cords and cables
- Etched or otherwise personalized items
- Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund
Original Receipt and Valid Photo ID
Bring the original receipt as well as your valid photo ID for all exchanges, returns, price matches and warranty repair services. Best Buy accepts the following forms of photo identification:
- U.S., Canadian or Mexican driver’s license
- U.S. state ID
- Canadian province ID
- U.S. military ID
We electronically secure your information solely for the purpose of returns management, in accordance with state and federal laws regarding consumer privacy.
There is a 25% restocking fee for special order products.
Promotional Items and Bundles
As a benefit to our customers, Best Buy occasionally offers promotional items and savings with a purchase or enhanced savings on a bundle of items when they are purchased together.
- When a promotional item is returned, the value of the promotional item is deducted from the refund amount. For instance, if you purchase a TV and get a $100 gift card or 50% off of a DVD player, the $100 value of the gift card or the total value of the DVD player would be subtracted from the refund.
- When an item included as part of a promotional bundle is returned, the bundled discount is void and the value of the bundled discount will be applied to the refund. This occasionally results in additional funds being owed to Best Buy. For instance, if your receive $200 in savings when you purchase a laptop and printer together and you return either item, the $200 amount will be subtracted from your refund.
Returning Mobile Phones with Plans
When returning a mobile phone or device with a plan, you are responsible for canceling service with the carrier. When you make the return, simply tell the Best Buy sales associate that you also want to cancel your service.
Failure to discontinue service may result in additional carrier charges. All carrier charges incurred are the full responsibility of the customer.
If you have questions about mobile phone or device returns, please call Best Buy Mobile at 1-877-702-2211 (6:00am-midnight CT).
Your refund will generally be in the same form as the original payment. However, when the item was purchased with cash or with a debit card without a major credit card logo for more than $500, or with a check for more than $250 the refund will be in the form of a check mailed to you within 10 business days. If the item was purchased using debit and the debit card has a major credit card logo, refunds under $250 will be issued as cash; refunds over $250 will be credited back to the card.
When a product that was purchased when a mail-in rebate was available on the item, the amount of the rebate may be deducted from the refund amount.
Country of Origin
The item must be exchanged or returned in the country in which it was originally purchased.
To Protect Your Personal Data
Please remove all personal data (e.g. computer or wireless phone data) from any exchanged or returned products. Best Buy is not responsible for any personal data left on or in an exchanged or returned product.
Best Buy Discretion
Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return.
Some tests may use a different set of policies. When a different policy is in effect, you will be informed of those differences prior to purchase.
To Return Special Delivery Items, Performance Service Plans, or Black Tie Protection
To exchange or return items that were delivered, such as major appliances, TVs, furniture and included accessories, please call 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289).
To return or cancel your Best Buy Performance Service Plan or Black Tie Protection plan, please call 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289).
For purchases made at BestBuy.com or Best Buy for Business, please reference the details below.
Policies of BestBuy.com may vary from our in-store policies. Please see the BestBuy.com Return Policy.
Best Buy for Business
Returns and exchanges of Best Buy for Business product purchased through our in-store kiosk, catalog, or via www.BestBuyForBusiness.com can be processed at stores or a return authorization to ship your product for return can be obtained by calling 1-800-373-3050. For full details, see the in-store kiosk, catalog, or www.BestBuyForBusiness.com.” – Best Buy website
Normally none, but 25% restocking fee for special order products
Refund / Exchange
Refund or exchange permitted, at customer’s option
Original Packaging Required
Probability of Success